Sunday, January 2, 2011

Welcoming the New Year with open arms...

...while giving 2010 a swift kick in the ass as it ran out the back door!

Nah, 2010 was another fun year for my boy and I. AJ grew stronger as the season progressed earning his CAT 2 upgrade in less than 5 months as well as a trip to Canada to race for a week with, and against some of the strongest Jr. racers in the World. Unfortunately Dad wasn't able to go, but I was there in spirit. He was awarded the MVP of the DBC Jr. Race Team. He competed against the strongest Jr's in the nation up in Bend OR where we met a "Cool as the other side of the pillow" kind of couple who opened up their home for us for the week. I continued to throw down for my team in the M35+123's while earning myself a CAT 2 upgrade as well. We both had a year full of learning and growth, both physically and emotionally.  We continued to meet new people, make new friends, and strengthen the good friendships we already had.



With the new year comes new challenges and...new opportunities. AJ was recruited to an up and coming Pro 1-2 squad called Fremont Bank. A solid squad led by another "Cool as the other side of the pillow" kind of couple in Mark and Susanne with Nick O in the co-pilot seat of this talented band of Rockstars. AJ's the youngest rider on the squad and as such, will have the opportunity to learn from some of the more seasoned veterans in the Pro12 peloton.

(Disclaimer - The photo below does not represent team Fremont Bank, It's just a bunch of folks who like wearing baby blue kits. :) Though, some of the riders may be on Team FB...and some may not)



As for me...I, along with 3 of my teammates, was also recruited to one of the classiest teams in Norcal Racing. Mercedes-Benz/Folsom Bike. Even before I'd known their names, I was blogging about their displays of selflessness and efforts as a "TEAM" at both the Snelling and Madera Road Races. They were a strong Road Race team, but were looking for more support in the Criteriums, which is where we came in. For me, it seemed to be the natural progression of things. Not only do I get an opportunity to continue to race with 3 of the coolest teammates a guy could ask for, but I'll have the added bonus of being a part of something truly special. Wilson and Erin at Folsom Bike & Grind have really out done themselves in the way of support and sponsorship and are both just too school for cool!


Yes, the season of change has come and gone...the time to build is upon us. Better batten down the hatches....cause a storms a comin'.

Stay tuned...

~ jjs

No comments: